Healthy Recipe: Chicken and Black Bean Soup
January 08, 2021
Warm up with this easy slow-cooker soup recipe from CookingLight.com- it is full of flavor and is ideal for these chilly evenings!
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 5 (serving size: about 2 cups of soup)
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4 thighs)
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped red or orange bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
How to Make It:
Step 1: Combine chicken, stock, beans, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, corn, chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until chicken is very tender, 5 to 6 hours.
Step 2: Transfer chicken to a cutting board; shred into small pieces; return to slow cooker. Stir in lime juice.
Step 3: Divide soup evenly among 5 bowls. Top evenly with yogurt and cilantro.