Heart Healthy Recipe: Chicken Picadillo
February 05, 2021
This zesty one-pot meal contains several heart-healthy ingredients and is easy to throw together on a busy weeknight- give it a try!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yields: 6 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup of chicken and vegetables)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garlic, mashed (about 3 cloves)
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup golden seedless raisins
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1 tsp dried coriander)
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- 2 Tbsp green olives, chopped
How to Make It:
Step 1: Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic, and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add the chicken, and stir fry for another 5–10 minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside.
Step 3: Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, lemon juice, cumin, bay leaves, water, and raisins to the vegetables and chicken.
Step 4: Cover the pan, and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 5: Remove the bay leaves, and garnish with fresh cilantro, capers, and green olives, and serve.
Tip: Serve with brown rice and black beans.